“Music as a Gift” is the project of the Perugia Musica Classica Onlus Foundation, which addresses the discomfort of individuals with respect to the social system in which they live, with the aim of bringing the person from a state of suffering – or absence of well-being – to a general improvement in quality of life using Music, which in this context assumes a strong social impact. In fact, it is known that through the experience of listening to live music, people can better deal with daily difficulties, thanks to creative and rewarding experiences.
The project is aimed at the most disadvantaged people, promoting concerts in prisons, rest homes and hospitals.
In light of the experience of the 2018 project, the Perugia Musica Classica Foundation has decided to re-propose the project also for the Seasons 2019-2020 is 2020-2021 , since it was verified a strong satisfaction and positive effects from the experience itself both in the elderly, in the sick and in general in all the subjects who participated in the initiative.
The realization of the Project is possible thanks to the support of Cassa di Risparmio di Perugia Foundation.
The project is divided into:
- a proposal for concerts for the inmates of the Penitentiary Complex of Capanne, Perugia;
- a series of short-term concerts aimed at the guests of the Istituto Opere Pie Donini of Perugia, which deals with the reception of elderly people;
- a series of concerts aimed at patients and relatives of S. Maria della Hospital Mercy of Perugia – Department of Oncological Radiotherapy , in collaboration with the Association MUSIC DONORS and theARONC Association. of Perugia;
- live listening path of sound events and musical pieces offered to subjects with mild cognitive impairment in a concert and laboratory music setting that includes production paths in creative laboratories of art therapy and dance movement therapy, in collaboration with theGeriatrics Institute of the University of Perugia and theAMATA Umbria Association.
The methods of use are currently in streaming, since following the health situation due to the spread of the Covid-19 virus, it is not possible to carry out activities in presence.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
The project aims to create, through the experience of live listening, forms of intellectual and emotional well-being for those involved, including caregivers and family members, creating pleasant, creative and safe spaces and times. Furthermore, the project has the following objectives:
- favoring modalities of active and supportive participation among people;
- encourage the exchange of ideas, emotions, art experiences. Create a pleasant, creative and reassuring space and time that gives the opportunity to express oneself and in which feelings can be encouraged and expressed;
- lead the person experiencing discomfort to self-discovery through musical activities and their translation with different expressive and communicative languages;
- use musical activities as a creative moment to support and strengthen one’s confidence and self-esteem;
- stimulate cognitive and social skills through musical language;
- favor alternative communication channels between participants and musicians;
- promote musical acculturation, learning to listen to music (conscious listening).
The project is carried out with the support of
Cassa di Risparmio di Perugia Foundation